Thursday, January 21, 2010

23 Things Kansas: Week 2 - Online Communities

This week's assignment for 23ThingsKansas was to "sign up for your online community of choice" - Facebook, Web Junction, Ning, etc. I am vaguely familiar with Facebook through my kids so I decided to try out something completely new to me - Ning. Also, I knew that if I created a Facebook page my kids would refuse to be my friends and that would be heartbreaking. After just one day of use, I can't really say I'm getting the big picture yet, but I can see the benefits for business use as well as personal. I'm not totally sold on the idea of a library Ning or Facebook page as a way to connect with patrons. I think that would be better accomplished by something like Twitter that works in smaller portions. But since Ning and Twitter interact there is certainly potential there. I can definitely see the value of a Ning community, such as the 23ThingsKansas group, for sharing ideas and resources with other librarians.
I have been told that there is a Ning community for book bloggers. If anyone out there has information on that, please let me know. You can check out my Ning page at www.23thingskansas.ning.com/profile/TamiErwin
UPDATE: I found this community - http://bookblogs.ning.com Looks like lots of great info for bloggers.

1 comment:

  1. Kids are funny that way! I just taught my 15-year old about Facebook, and part of the "class" was teaching her how to friend someone - ie., me. And in the process I pretty much told her she HAS to be my friend (which she's cool with).

    But it is certainly hilarious to see her status updates!

    Glad you found Ning interesting - there's lots of possibilities there for libraries, I think.

    ReplyDelete