Monday, March 1, 2010

Weeks 6: Tagging and Social Bookmarking

Week six's lesson is on Delicious.  I'm a big fan of Rachael Ray - De-Lish!!! - but I had no clue about social bookmarking.  Ok, bad pun, I know, but it was the best I could do.

If you are also among the social bookmarking clueless, it is basically the same as adding sites to your "favorites" list on your browser except it stores your bookmarks online, allowing you to have access to your bookmarks from any computer with internet access.  Puts an end to that frustration of bookmarking a site at work, then trying to find it from home, only to discover that my brain really is over 40.

Tagging is a method of organizing and sharing your bookmarked sites.  By adding a "tag" when you bookmark a site, you can then group similar sites together and search for them by the tag.  For example, I can bookmark other library home pages and tag them "libraries", or something equally as creative, and then access my list of favorite library sites by searching for "libraries".

Tagging also allows me to share my favorite sites with others of similar interests.  For example, if I have a group of friends who are all interested in cooking, we can create the tag "cool recipes" (cause we're dorks and that's how we roll) and tag any sites that we want to remember and that we think others might like also.  Then I just search for the "cool recipes" tag and find out what discoveries my cooking friends have been making.

So far I haven't actually accomplished any of this except creating a Delicious account and looking around a bit, but I get the gist and can see numerous possibilities for work and home. 

2 comments:

  1. I feel so out of it! I had heard of Delicious but had no clue you could do this. I'm definitely going to have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Delicious account but I really don't use it. I just don't understand how it works. I liked your dee-lish pun.

    ReplyDelete