Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Movie Review: Alice In Wonderland

We went to the Tim Burton version of Alice in Wonderland Sunday evening and I've been struggling ever since for words to describe it.  The costumes and scenery are amazing; the special effects are stunning; I was even impressed with the makeup in this movie and I think that's a first.  The story holds true to the original much more than I expected, with the expected Burton twists and quirks.  Mia Wasikowska makes the transition from pale, wimpy, scared Alice to bold, confident Champion Alice remarkably.  Johnny Depp is slightly frightning yet touching as the Mad Hatter.  Anne Hathaway as the White Queen is comical. And the Red Queen - played by Helena Bonham Carter - and her minions are both grotesque and absurd.  But none of those words quite sum it up.  So I guess I'll have to go with the opinion I expressed to Dave as we were leaving the theater:  That was BIZARRE!

1 comment:

  1. You are braver than me. The previews scarred me so I knew I couldn't see it. I do like the way you described the movie.

    ReplyDelete