Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Library Withdrawals

Every form of addiction is bad, no matter whether the narcotic be alcohol or morphine or [library books].  - Carl Jung (as modified by me)

The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen, one of my top-five all-time fav authors, was released yesterday and I'm struggling with withdrawals today...withdrawals from instant access to pretty much any book I wanted to read.  While working at the library, I added Ms. Allen to the "automatic order"  list, a list of authors whose new releases are automatically sent to the library prior to publication so that they can be cataloged and on the shelf by release date.  This meant that, as the person responsible for cataloging, if I got my work done promptly there was time to read the books I liked before they became available to the general public.  It also means that this book is sitting in my former office wondering where I am.

No such luck today.  The book is not yet available at my new library, and even if it was I wouldn't necessarily get to have it first.  Waiting my turn??  This could be a problem!  I have been fighting with myself all day - denying my urge to drive twenty-seven miles to the nearest Wal-Mart to purchase a copy.  That would simply be a temporary "fix".  I'm going to have to learn to live without the privilege of ordering any book I want to read and paying for it with library funds...without receiving books prior to publication...live with waiting my turn as *gasp* just another library patron...

Well, that just sucks!

To add insult to injury, the only way around this devastating loss is to get a...a...a job!!  Don't tell, but I really don't want to do that.  I will never replace the wonderful spot I just left, and I am sooo over schedules and rules.  There has to be a way to earn money working from home, preferably reading books and writing snarky commentary.  Doesn't seem to be an abundance of those jobs listed in the Want Ads.  Until I find a way to fund my book addiction, is there a twelve-step program for ex-librarians?

Hello, my name is Tami and I'm a bookaholic...

2 comments:

  1. Oh honey!! I'm so sorry!

    Does your library have a volunteer program? At least you could position yourself to see exactly when the book hit the shelf and then snatch it up :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell you that I have yet to find a way to make money from reading books and writing snarky commentary. If you find a way, let me know!! And I'm so sorry for your loss. Those were some good job benefits.

    ReplyDelete