Friday, June 1, 2012

My How You Have Grown . . .

Today is our baby's 20th birthday.  Wow! How time flies . . .
Mitch and Amanda - 1993 - ages 2 and 1
 Laughing and a running, skipping and a jumping . . .
I saw you just the other day.  My, how you have grown . . .
Do you remember when we used to sing . . .
My Brown-Eyed Girl
(Selected lyrics from "Brown-Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison - 
The song here Daddy sang to her - and still does.)
Dave and Amanda - 2012 - ages ? and 20
I've held it all inward, God know's I've tried,
But it's an awful awakening in a country boy's life, 
to look in the mirror in total surprise
at the hair on my shoulders and the age in your eyes . . .
Amanda, light of my life!
(from "Amanda" by Waylon Jennings - the song for which she's named)

From the months and months of colic . . . to baby dolls that went everywhere she went . . . to learning to ride a bike (we forgot to explain hand brakes so she just ran into the car to stop) . . . to hours clipping pictures of "dream fashions" from magazines . . . to sneaking out after curfew and being caught a block from home . . . to decorating her first apartment . . . it's been a whirlwind 20 years.  And I wouldn't trade a minute!  Ok, maybe a couple of minutes, but it's been a blessing!

But do you understand what that means?  No more teenagers!   Can't say I'm shedding any tears over the passing of those years - but maybe a few over how quickly children grow.  But they grow into wonderful friends.


Happy Birthday, Amanda!

5 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your daughter; beautiful young woman!! I do understand all you said; as difficult as those teen years are.....sometimes I would go back to them.....I said to son, who gave us a wild adventure in what he chose to do, on the day of his high school graduation "I would do it all again, the good, the bad, the ugly" and have him start again in kindergarten. Unfortunately, we don't have that option. But you are right, they do grow into wonderful friends and caring adults :)
    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Amanda! I hope you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your daughter -- lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure it feels like it goes by in an instant. I get teary just thinking of it. I know my own son will be 20 in a few days (he is 7 now). HA! Enjoy what a lovely young woman she's become!

    ReplyDelete
  5. adorable! and love the K-State outfits of course.

    ReplyDelete