Monday, August 27, 2012

True Grit


Do you remember Grit?  I don't recall that my family ever subscribed, but I remember seeing it around.  I assumed it was just one more of the things of my youth that have gone by the wayside.  But not so.

If you read my review of Hens and Chickens, you may recall that I became cyber-friends with the author, Jennifer Wixson, through a circuitous route on Twitter.  Part of that route involved Hank Will, the editor of Grit Magazine.  Well, color me surprised!  Grit is still in circulation and now a magazine? Jennifer even mentions Grit in the book. Considering my new-found love of the farm life, I was instantly infatuated.

For those of you who don't remember Grit, here's a bit of history (brazenly plagerized from Grit's own website):  Grit was founded in 1882.  In 1891, the owner hit upon a grand idea - newsboys to sell Grit directly to the public - and the newspaper began to expand to small towns across the country.  In 1983, it was purchased by the same company that published Capper's Weekly and moved it to Topeka in 1993.  Both magazines have since sold to Ogden Publications.

Today's Grit "celebrates country lifestyles of all kinds, while emphasizing the importance of community and stewardship.  We still have the same values:  Community, Family, Positive Outlook and Sharing." 

The most recent issue contains stories on canning and preserving, incubating eggs and using manure in your garden.  I know, not glamorous, but it's part of that simpler life I'm always searching for - a return to the ways of my grandparents or great-grandparents.  Each issue inspires me - right up to the point where I realize how much work all these ideas are going to be - but I still love the values represented.

No comments:

Post a Comment