Friday, October 26, 2012

Mx3: Week 4

The pastor at a church we attended about 10 years ago had a maxim he used frequently:  "The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior."  We have applied this to so many situations.  It was often our reasoning for denying a teenager another shot at an extended curfew, or for not giving repeat business to a company with shoddy customer service.  But today, unfortunately, I have to apply it to myself.  

I love to sign up for reading challenges.  I make a plan, I draw up an outline, I schedule posts - but then I have to follow through.  And I never do.  Then I vow to never sign up for another one - but when the next one comes around, I think THIS TIME, I'll do it.  THIS TIME I'll keep up.  THIS TIME I'll reach the goal.  But I never do.  

And so it goes with Monsters, Murder and Mayhem.  I want to do it. I want to enjoy Stephen King and gothic ghosts and things that go bump in the night - like I used to.  I want to not be a total wimp.  But the cold hard truth is - I don't and I am.  So we wrap up week four of Mx3 with 1 of four books from my grand plan complete - 3 in various stages of half-doneness.  Same goes for the movies except, of the three that didn't get watched, two of them didn't even get recorded.

There is still time to redeem myself.  I have five days of October left in which to complete just ONE of the 3 books I started and watch just ONE of the movies I had selected. "The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior."  Oh yeah - probably not.

2 comments:

  1. But at least you admit that you are more than likely not going to finish this challenge and I'm sure you will be wiser next year should such a one come up and not participate in it. Honestly, I think I told you already but one Stephen King book did me in (Salem's Lot). Have NEVER read another one of his books and saw just a handful of his movies.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed at how you read - so cut yourself some slack - you have been busy with family entertaining and crafting as well!

    ReplyDelete