Thursday, September 11, 2014

In Living Color . . .

Over the past year or so I have participated in a meme called Tangled Thursdays, in which a group of ladies take turns creating a Zentangle challenge for the other participants and we all link our posts at Books and Quilts, the blog of our lovely hostess, Heather.  This week, Marie gave us a very broad assignment.  Since we've all been a little lazy with our drawing this summer, just pick up your supplies and draw something, or post about a Zentangle website, or any other Zentangle related topic.

My drawing is Zentangle related because I used the watercolor pencils I purchased with the idea of adding color to my Zentangles.   I decided it was finally time to  get them out of the box.  After watching a short video and reading some further instructions, I decided to spend my limited time learning to use the pencils rather than creating an original drawing.

First I found a drawing I liked online and printed it.  This drawing of tulips and a stained-glass background had a Zentangle feel to it.



  I lightly traced the drawing onto watercolor paper, leaving out some of the detail.  Then I began filling in the drawing ...




 . . . using pressure and blending colors to create shadows and highlights.  



Once the drawing was completely filled in and highlights/shadows added, I used small paintbrushes and water to blend the colors.  The pencil tips can be dipped directly in water to add more vibrant color and deeper shadows.


It's a long way from a professional watercolor, but the pencils are a lot of fun to work with and I know more than I did when I started.  I will definitely be working them into my Zentangle drawings - as soon as I get back into the Zentangle swing.






2 comments:

  1. Very nice, Tami! The final result is soft looking, yet bright and colourful. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've been wanting to try using the watercolour pencils as well. I like how they look in your picture.

    Thanks for linking up with Tangled Thursday.

    ReplyDelete