Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Needlework Tuesday: Long Time No See

I haven't participated in Needlework Tuesday for months.   I have been crafting like crazy, but not necessarily needlework, so I'm expanding this post to include all crafts.

I have been fascinated by the "mug rug' craze on Pinterest.  There are hundreds of adorable examples out there.  I made a few Christmas versions just to see what I thought.  I discovered that some patterns are more complicated than I want to invest in for a glorified coaster -- but I do like the extra size, so the determination is that mugs rugs are a great trend, within limits.  Here's my favorite, made in the same manner as my favorite potholders -except round.

I tried my hand at knitted stocking caps.  I really like this one, except that the purple stripe is made from a different weight of yarn.  The variation was intentional, but what I thought would look artistic or modern actually looks more like a mistake.

Of course a new year calls for a new journal.  I use standard composition books, but make removable/reusable  fabric covers.  Amanda gave me this sparkly reindeer fabric for Christmas and it seemed like a festive start for the new year.  There is a pocket on the front to hold a pen and highlighter, and a ribbon bookmark.  

My biggest sewing project since I last linked up are called "Oh Sh** Kits" - or emergency kits if you prefer.  They are small bags - suitable for purse, backpack, desk or car, that hold all the things you might need in a minor emergency.  The options are endless, but I chose this simple bag pattern, and included a flashlight, small scissors, Band-Aids, ibuprofen, nail file, needle/thread, buttons, safety pins, eye-glasses cleaner, glue dots, etc.  I made about 20 of them - for all the ladies on my Christmas list - and they were a big hit.


So much so, that my brother-in-law wondered where the male version was.  He thought it should be called the "Oh, F***-it Bucket".  That kind of creativity deserved a response, so I created this for him.

The bucket contains a hunting magazine, golf balls, extra batteries for the TV remote, a DVD and a bottle of his favorite liquor - all the things you need to relax after a tough day at work.

Painting has taken over most of my creative time.  I'm still working on learning to paint with watercolors.  It's a slow process, but I can definitely see improvement, and it's incredibly relaxing.  

Visit our Needlework Tuesday hostess, Heather, at Books and Quilts to see what others are stitching up, or to link up your own post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment