Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Old Dogs and New Tricks

Who says an old dog can't learn a new trick?  I have been whining for years that I wish I could knit.  I learned the very basics as a teenager, but never pursued it.  I picked it up again a couple years ago, but got frustrated and quit.  I guess the third time really is a charm.   After hours and hours of knitting and "un-knitting" the same yarn just for practice, I am finally able to do four basic stitches . . . and I am OBCESSED!

Dish cloths/wash cloths seemed like a simple and usable way to practice, so I've tried several patterns.  The first few had some pattern issues.  Actually, they had some issues with my ability to follow the pattern.


Eventually I struck on this diagonal pattern that is so easy to do, even I can't mess it up (at least not much).  


My favorite design so far is this lattice pattern.  It makes a thicker, textured cloth that is better for scrubbing. 


The original pattern includes a crocheted picot edge that gives the cloths a fancier look, but this old dog can only handle one new trick at a time. 

This post is part of "Needlework Tuesday" hosted by Heather @ Books and Quilts.


5 comments:

  1. Nice work, Tami!!! Congrats, you are a knitter now! Way to go on sticking with it. I'm pretty sure I've done the lattice one before. No picot edge, though. I've had a look at the link and the crochet edge does add a finished look. Maybe one day I'll try it. ;)

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!! They look really nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, I just learned this past year. I like these patterns. I will try them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of these patterns and colors are adorable. Glad you are having fun. But why scrub when you can knit? I do not think I would ever learn which pattern scrubs better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Tami. you are doing wonderfully. That diagonal pattern is a great one to start with.

    Thanks for linking up with Needlework Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete